Forest Lake Christian
OUR COACH: Joanna Thurman
OUR TRAINING TIMES: Daily Mon - Fri, 3:00 – 5:00PM
OUR COMPETITIONS: Meets usually occur on Saturdays (See meet schedule)
OUR TEAM'S CORE COVENANT:
Every member of our team is active in ministry that is characterized by: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. - Galatians 5:22-23
OUR TEAM'S DESCRIPTION:
Preparation for, and competition in, CIF Cross Country. Practice and competition is required.
OUR TEAM'S OBJECTIVE:
To experience success in competition as an integral member of the Cross Country team: Runners will learn various aspects of our sport, including “teamwork”, advanced running technique and Kinematic Running Assessment, personalized goal-setting methodology, effective racing strategy, a periodized conditioning plan, nutritional elements, and core-strengthening drills.
OUR TEAM'S TRAINING PROCEDURES:
1. Our coach sends each week's Workout Sheet to all athletes via E-mail. Workout Sheets are basic guidelines to keep us progressing toward our goals. At times you may be doing either more or less than that which is indicated on the sheet.
2. We keep a Personal Workout Log. You may purchase your own "Running Log", use a regular notebook, or you may record your daily information onto the weekly Workout Sheets and assemble them into a three-ring notebook and/or file them in a WORD document file on your computer.
3. Each runner fills out and periodically updates their personal Season Goal Sheet.
4. You should obtain your passport by the end of the Fall Semester in order to be readily available for short-term cross-cultural ministry and competition team travel, should God so lead you.
5. At all times, be sure that you are an athlete that demonstrates respectable conduct, quality sportsmanship, and a healthy lifestyle.
6. During the Cross Country (Fall) Season, it is unacceptable for XC Athletes to participate in "Out-of-Season" sports and on other athletic teams or practices, unless it is specifically arranged in advance on an occasional, individual, case-by-case basis.
7. During the Spring Semester, you are advised to participate in training and competing under the direction of the XC coach for trail/road racing or Track & Field, unless you are out for another sport at Forest Lake Christian School.
8. Remember that our coaches are available to help you with any need or situation. If necessary, an appointment may be made at a time other than the scheduled workout time in order to discuss with the coaches any special need, issue, or grievance.
OUR TEAM'S ATHLETIC AWARDS:
End-of-season Athletic Awards and Letters are awarded to athletes who promote excellent citizenship and demonstrate positive Team Leadership. Only athletes fulfilling the team guidelines will be recommended by the team coaches for athletic awards and letters, and they will be evaluated based on citizenship and Team Leadership criteria in the following manner:
1. Methods of Evaluation:
a) Attendance (Daily Practice & Assigned Competitions)
b) Performance (Daily Practice & Assigned Competitions)
c) Team Procedures (Running Log, Season Goal Sheet, & all other FLC Sport Requirements)
2. Clarification of Performance:
To practice or compete with a "winner’s attitude" - A "winner" is defined as one who places “Team” above “self” – One who gives his/her very best physically, mentally, and spiritually, at every moment during practice sessions and scheduled competitions.
Appropriate the “3-D” Principle - especially in difficult circumstances:
DESIRE… to be the best in academics, sports, and community activities.
DEDICATION… to improve and to help every member of your team succeed.
DETERMINATION… to finish each workout and race to the best of your ability.
It is expected of every runner to demonstrate the following characteristics within our CORE COVENANT (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control):
a) Respectful Attitude: Being positive about your program, your coaches, and your teammates.
b) Agreeable Conduct: Doing required assignments and tasks when informed by the coaches with enthusiasm, avoiding negative remarks.
c) Quality Effort: Giving 100% of your spiritual, mental and physical ability toward the task at hand in all practice sessions and competitions.
d) Humble Spirit: Accepting defeat as well as enjoying victory with gracefulness; Admitting when you have made a mistake and resolving to not repeat it.
3. Clarification of Attendance:
To have exemplary attendance: Missing any practice session or scheduled competition is considered an absence. You must have a doctor's release to not participate. Non-participation is considered an absence. Practices and competitions are held On Time, rain or shine. Everyone is expected to be on time, in proper workout attire, and stay for the entire practice session. In addition, we stay for the entire meet, because we want to support and cheer for all of our teammates.