2011 CPS Indoor Meet Group B @ the University of Chicago
Attention Track and Field Coach,
Thanks to the success of the meets and the cooperation of coaches and athletes in 2010, we were able to again procure the Henry Crown Field house at the University of Chicago on March 20 for this years’ meets. However, in order to make this a more coach/facility/competitively friendly event, we will split schools into 3 groups thereby hosting 3 separate meets. Last year we ran single gendered events but this year both boys and girls will be competing in the same group. Hopefully this adjustment will facilitate a better track and field experience for you and your athletes, as the meet should last about 3 ½ hours. Note though that whereas there is no official CPS “Indoor Track Championship”, all the more this year, each meet will be distinct and the winner of Group A should not esteem any greater position than the winner of Group C. Notwithstanding, there are certain concessions that we must make in order for us conduct our events.
1. No food or drinks other than water will be allowed in the track and field area. Otherwise impress your athletes to care for the facility so that we can perpetuate usage.
2. All competitors must complete and submit either waiver form (included, one for 18 year olds and one for those younger than 18) in order to compete in this event. University of Chicago officials will be very strict with this procedure and students who are not in compliance may be denied admission to the field house. You will be expected to submit these copies at least one week prior (March 16) to the meet to Thomas E. Smith, scanned and sent through email, by Mail Run (#40), or delivery.
4. Whereas “spikes” can be used (as in the shoes), actual spikes usually put in the shoes will not be allowed. All spikes must be removed from the “spikes” and replaced with studs (flat inserts for the spike holes). These studs used in the “spikes” will allow for adequate traction. To avoid confusion, your athletes can wear flats. Please have your athletes prepare for these conditions.
5. Except for the teams involved in the running for the team title, please vacate the building immediately following the last event. Please have an entry and exit plan to maximize the time before the meet and after the last event for your competitors. Get your field event athletes in the building first so that they can warm up. If we are running late, please forbear us and I will get trophies to the school within the week.
6. Although the City Indoor Meets do not carry the term championship in their title, they are unofficially considered to be championship caliber. Meet efficiency is imperative so your athletes’ understanding of the rules and protocol of track and field is reasonably expected. Additionally, the meet tempo is desired to be expeditious, so athletes will be encouraged to get ready to run shortly after the previous race ends. Due to the volume of teams and the limited amount of time in the facility, meet entries will be handled delicately with respect of the best interest of meet administration. We do not intend to exclude anyone, but I request that you refrain from entering athletes or relays that do not meet a reasonable standard of competency and/or are not familiar with track etiquette. Teams will not be penalized for limiting entries.
Thank You for your consideration.
Thomas E. Smith
Track and Field Coordinator
2011 Chicago Public Schools Varsity Indoor Meet Group B
PLACE: University of Chicago Henry Crown Field House; 5550 South University Avenue, Chicago, IL. Only enter and exit the facility through the doors on 56th and University.
WHEN: Sunday, March 20, 2011, at 1:00 p.m. Teams will be allowed to enter the facility at 12:15 p.m.
TEAMS: Chicago Public Schools and Chicago Charter Schools
ENTRIES: Coaches must use the electronic entry web site at: http://www.athletic.net to submit entries with accurate seed marks. Detailed instructions are included in this packet. We will seed according to time and distance. Your submission of entries in a timely manner will enhance a more accurate heat sheet being produced. All entries must be received electronically by 11:59 p.m., March 16, 2010. Late entries will not be processed. Waivers are also due March 16.
Sheets: Eligibility Sheets with all pertinent signatures must be submitted at the drop off point (registration table) prior to the meet. You must present an eligibility sheet to receive your meet packet.
ENTRY LIMIT: Each school is limited to one participant per each event. One Relay is allowed per school. Individual participants may be entered in a maximum of four (4) events.
SUBSTITUTIONS: You may make changes online up until on Wednesday, March 16, 2011. After March 16, athletes may only be scratched through emails to Thomas E. Smith. On the day of the competition all coaches are to check-in before 8:45 a.m. to pick up your packets.
RULES: The CPS Varsity Indoor Meet is governed under IHSA Terms and Conditions unless otherwise noted in the packet of information provided by meet management.
UNIFORMS: Official school uniforms must be worn.
Check-In Coaches are responsible for informing their athletes.
Procedures: For all running events, athletes will be checked-in at the “Staging area” located in the bleachers on the infield on the inside edge of the home stretch. Field event participants should report to the field event area to check –in. Athletes attempting to check –in late run the serious risk of forfeiting the opportunity to compete.
Running events take precedence over field events. Athletes may jump or throw out of turn to leave or catch up before or after a running event.
WORKERS: Each school is to provide one adult worker. Assignments will be delegated at the pre-meet coaches meeting. If a team can not provide a worker, the head coach will be responsible for this duty. Your willingness to contribute some of your time with meet administration (assisting field judges, working the finish line, helping the clerk with hip numbers, etc.) will significantly speed up the meet.
TRACK: The track is a 200m, six lane, rubber surface.
SPIKES: Shoes that hold spikes are allowed, but no spikes are allowed to be inserted into those shoes on this surface.
IMPLEMENTS: Each school must provide their own implements. Be prepared to weigh your implement prior to check in.
BLOCKS: Although starting blocks may be provided. You are advised to bring your own.
HIGH JUMP: Girls’ 4’2” raised 2” until 5’0 then 1”
Boys’ 5’2” raised 2” until 6’0” then 1”
WARM-UP: Athletes can use the backside of the track for warm-up/cool down. However athletes must be off of the track unless reporting to the Staging area or warming up or cooling down in the designated area during oval events.
FACILITIES: There will be washrooms inside the facility that can be used, but locker rooms will be unavailable.
CONCESSIONS: Concessions will not be available during the meet. Anything other than water is prohibited in the track area. Food may be consumed on the first floor of the field house.
SCORING: 10-8-6-4-2-1 All events
AWARDS: Trophies will be awarded to first place teams. Medals will be awarded to 1st – 3rd place finishers of each event. In case of a tie in any event, the points will be split and the participants will flip for the medal.
RESULTS: Final results will be available at the athletic.net website.
COMMITTEE: Track and Field Committee, plus the starter.
CPS Varsity Indoor Meet
Important Special Instructions!
COACHES: PLEASE READ AND INFORM YOUR ATHLETES !!
1. We are all guest of the University of Chicago. Please be respectful of the facilities.
2. Please keep your camps as small as possible to allow a place for spectators to sit.
3. All athletes should report to the STAGING AREA approximately 15 minutes prior to their event.
4. The meet will be Fully Automatically Timed (FAT) therefore the finish line area must be clear of competitors, coaches, and other athletes. Once athletes have finished the race, they should report back a few meters beyond the finish line, to verify place and identity. They may be asked to stand in their lane for up to a couple of minutes.
4. Remind your athletes in running events to stay off the inside lane line. Three (3) or more consecutive steps with the same or opposite foot will result in disqualification.
5. Teams must complete relay cards. A member of the relay team should give the card
which has been signed by a coach, including the first and last names of the 4 participants who will actually compete in the event, to the clerk in the staging area when the team reports. Relay Cards will be provided in your team packet. Submission of the relay card is your formal check-in.
6. PLEASE SECURE YOUR VALUABLES; WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY LOST/STOLEN ITEMS.
7. Please keep your camps clean; there will be no food or beverages other than water allowed in the track and field area.
8. A. Competitors in running events: no jewelry of any kind, penalty is disqualification
from that event.
B. Relay uniforms: if additional apparel is worn under jersey or trunks by more than one team member (2 or more), it must be the same color, if any discrepancies it will be ruled on by the Games Committee.
9. Top 3 teams with the highest points should listen to the P.A. for announcements concerning final award presentation, which will be held in front of the awards table Results will be available online at www.athletic.net.
10. Coaches will be allowed on the infield as long as they are helping with the administration of the meet. However, the Staging area and the finish line/judges stand area are off limits!