What Exactly Can You Eat Before or During a Workout or Competition?
· Option 1: Apple (CHO) and Cheese (protein and fat)- contains the amino acid arginine which spikes HGH to higher levels.
· Option 2: Whole wheat or rye bread (CHO) and peanut butter (protein and fat). Peanuts also have arginine & are a good fat that will slow down the entry of sugar from bread into the body.
· Option 3: Whole wheat or rye bread (CHO) and chicken or turkey (protein) & butter (fat). In fact, fat releases an enzyme which burns fat.
· Option 4: 2% or whole Milk (CHO, protein and fat). Milk has the amino acid tryptopham which induces HGH release. You need at least 2% fat in order to absorb vitamin D & calcium.
· Option 5: Fruit (CHO) and protein (eggs - high in arginine).
· Option 6: Power bar (40-30-30) or sports drink (40-30-30). Read the label. Know what is in your food!
· Option 7: Pure water is the most important aid to recovery and peak performance. Water also dilutes acid in the stomach. A loss of 1-2% water hurts performance. Proper hydration is a 24 hour issue.