TRACK AND FIELD
(360) 673-5212 ext 202
The mission of the track and field program at Kalama High school is to provide a respectful and competitive atmosphere in which team members develop the confidence and skills to maximize their potential.
Practice Info: Practice starts at 3:25 sharp Monday – Friday. Make sure you bring sweats and a sweatshirt or jacket. Also bring running shoes and your spikes or throwing shoes. The bathrooms will be open at the stadium but bring a water bottle; there is no water available at the track.
Meets: Our league meets are on Wednesdays and Thursdays. Everyone is eligible to participate in these meets. Invites are on Fridays and Saturdays. You must qualify to participate in these. Not everyone will qualify for invites.
Varsity Letter Requirements:
An athlete will be awarded a Varsity Letter when the following requirements are fulfilled:
Minimum Requirements to letter
· Must score at least 12 points through participation and placement in track varsity track meets.
· Must have excellent attendance at practice, meetings, and meets.
· Must help out at all home track meets and at all home middle school track meets.
Points can be obtained in the following ways:
Participation points towards lettering
· Competition in an Invitational meet: 2 points.
· Competition in the district meet: 5 points
· Competition in the state meet: 15 points.
· Perfect attendance: 5 points.
· Helping out at Middle school meets: 3 points.
· Helping at home High school meets: 3 point.
Placement points towards lettering:
· League meets: 1st place = 5pts; 2nd place = 3pts; 3rd place = 3pts; 4th place = 2pts; 5th place = 1pt.
· Invitational meets: 1st place = 10pts; 2nd place = 8pts; 3rd place = 6pts; 4th place = 5pts; 5th place = 4pts; 6th place = 3 pts; 7th place = 2pts; 8th place = 1pt.
Kalama Track & Field Expectations
· You must attend all practices and be on time.
· If you are going to be late clear it with Coach Hamilton before practice starts (elementary multi-purpose room or text) NO EXECPTIONS.
· You must personally tell Coach Hamilton if you are going miss practice before hand. The only exception is a family emergency or if you are sick and miss school. In that case you must bring a note to practice the next day explaining why you were gone.
· If you have an unexcused absence from practice you will not participation in the next meet.
· If you get sick and need to leave school please let Coach Hamilton know before you leave school.
· You must be respectful to all teammates, coaches and opposing teams. If you are disrespectful to teammates or the coaching staff it will result in a suspension from the team.
· If you have an issue to resolve, start with your coach, not your parents.
· Harassment will not be tolerated, verbal or physical.
· PDA is not acceptable at practice or at meets.
· All school rules apply.
· School rules state shirts are required during practice hours.
· The locker rooms will remain locked until practice is over. If you know you will be leaving early, bring your belongings up to the track. The track bathrooms will be unlocked.
- Track & field can be a hazardous sport; always be aware of your surroundings.
- For health reasons, you may not go barefoot on the turf (socks are ok)
- Do not stand on the inside four lanes of the track. If someone yells “track” it means they are running faster than you and you need to move out of the way.
- MP3 players, IPods and cell phone are not allowed on the infield or the track. They may only be used on the bus and in the stands.
- You may not sit or lay down on the high jump or pole vault mats.
- You may not run or walk on the infield at all after warm ups. It is completely off limits. It is an extremely dangerous area as both javelin and discus will be thrown here. Anytime you are near the infield be aware of what is around you. It is a danger zone.
- Always look both ways before you are crossing the run ways. (long jump, triple jump, pole vault, high jump)
- Never jump without a coach watching.
- Make sure no one is on the mat when you start your approach.
Discus, Javelin, and Shot-Put
o Never walk into the impact zone without the coaches OK.
o Make sure everyone has thrown before you retrieve your implement.
o Before you throw, check to make sure no one is in or close to the impact zone.
Meet and Bus information:
· You must have your uniform on before you load the bus.
· When on the bus male and female athletes will sit in separate sections of the bus.
· On the bus you must stay in your seat at all times. You may talk but the noise level needs to say at a minimum.
· When we get to the meet we will warm up as a team with our track gear on. If you do not warm up with the team then you will not compete in the meet.
· You must stay in the stands until the last Kalama athlete is done competing. Then you may load the bus. If you are traveling home with a parent, you must be signed out first.
· If you plan to travel home with another family, you must have clearance ahead of time with Mr. Gragg.
· The coaching staff will have the final say on all lineups.