Folsom Track & Field Guidelines
COACH: Nick Vogt E-MAIL: CoachV@ChristianTeam.org PHONE: (530) 878-0697 (AM & PM)
PRACTICES: Mon-Thu, 3:30 pm - 5:30 pm / Fri 1:30 pm (Occasionally we will be finished earlier)
TEAM VISION STATEMENT: T.E.A.M. = Together - Everyone - Achieves - More
To experience success in competition as an integral member of the Track & Field Team: Athletes will learn various aspects of the sport, including “teamwork”, advanced technique in specific events, personalized goal-setting methodology, effective competition strategy, a periodized conditioning plan, nutritional elements, as well as pace, speed, power, and core-strengthening drills.
1. Scheduled Practices and Competitions are required. An athlete will be warned for the first unexcused absence. For the second unexcused absence, he/she will not be allowed to compete in a following meet selected by the coach. After a third unexcused absence, the athlete will be suspended from all further competitions until such time when he/she proves to be dependable in the attendance procedure. An Athlete is to compete in EVERY assigned event in each Meet, throughout the ENTIRE Season.
2. Practices will begin promptly on time. Buses/vans will leave for competitions precisely at the scheduled departure times. Athletes must stay for the entire practice session. At meets Parents must sign out the athlete with the coach before they leave. (See reverse side for further explanation of attendance procedures).
3. Before attending a practice, athletes MUST have a Physical Exam on file all Fees and required paperwork turned in. Athletes will be checked off in each area on a master list.
4. Appropriate workout attire, including proper running shoes, is to be worn in practice sessions. Water bottles recommended. Athletes need to purchase their own spikes and competition shoes for specialized events
5. School issued uniforms and proper gear only are to be worn during competitions.
6. Each week's Workout Schedule will be made available for athletes on the T&F Facebook Group, by Email message, or written copies. Schedules are basic guidelines to keep athletes progressing toward goals. At times athletes may be doing either more or less than that which is posted.
7. Workout Logs are required. Athletes may purchase your own "Training Log", notebook; or they may record their daily information onto the weekly Workout Sheets and assemble them into a three-ring notebook and/or file them in a WORD document file on their personal computer.
8. Athletes are to fill out and periodically update their personal Season Goal Sheet.
9. If an athlete becomes injured, regardless of the degree, immediately report the injury to Coaches.
10. Athletes MUST travel to and from meets and off-campus practices in buses and/or pre-approved parent drivers (school policy). The only exception to this policy is if an athlete obtains approval from the coach for other travel arrangements at least 24 hours prior to the trip.
11. One of our team goals is to have an average GPA of 3.5 or higher. Grade Check Forms may be issued to athletes periodically throughout the season. It is the athlete’s responsibility to have each instructor sign the Grade Check Form and return it to the coach before the due date.
12. Respectable conduct, quality sportsmanship, healthy lifestyle, and “Team Pride” are expected of every athlete at all times.
13. An athlete with any special need, issue, or grievance is welcome to contact the coach. If necessary, an appointment will be made at a time other than the scheduled practice times.
LETTERS & ATHLETIC AWARDS POLICY:
End-of-season Athletic Awards and Letters are awarded to athletes who promote excellent citizenship and demonstrate positive Team Leadership. Only athletes fulfilling the team guidelines will be recommended by the coaches for athletic awards and letters, and they will be evaluated based on citizenship and Team Leadership criteria in the following manner:
1. Methods of Evaluation:
c) Team Procedures (See reverse side for further clarification of Team Procedures)
2. Clarification of Performance:
To practice or compete with a "winner’s attitude" - A "winner" is defined as one who places “Team” above “self” – One who gives his/her very best, physically, mentally, and socially at every moment during practice sessions and assigned event competitions. It is expected of every athlete to demonstrate the following characteristics:
a) Respectful Attitude: Being positive about your program, your coaches, and your teammates.
b) Agreeable Conduct: Doing what is required when informed by the coaches with enthusiasm, avoiding negative remarks.
c) Quality Effort: Giving 100% of your mental, physical, and social ability toward the task at hand in all practice sessions and competitions. Appropriate the “3-D” Principle - especially in difficult circumstances:
Desire… to be the best in academics, sports, and community activities
Dedication… to improve and to help every member of your team succeed
Determination… to finish each workout and meet to the best of your ability
d) Humble Spirit: Accepting defeat as well as enjoying victory with gracefulness; Admitting when you have made a mistake and resolving to not repeat it.
3. Clarification of Attendance:
To have exemplary attendance: Missing any practice session or scheduled competition will be considered an absence. You must have a doctor's release to not participate. Non-participation is considered an absence. Practices and competitions will be held On Time, rain, shine, or “bad air” days. Athletes are expected to be on time, in proper workout attire, stay for the entire session or meet, and compete in EVERY assigned event in each Meet. In addition, the coach must excuse them before they leave – Leaving early or without being excused by the coach will be considered an absence. Our athletes are expected to support & cheer their very last teammate remaining in competition at ALL league track meets.
Make-Up of Absence Procedure:
a) Arrangements to make-up an absence must be made through the coach.
b) Athletes must have an acceptable reason for missing a practice and they must notify Coach Vogt by email in advance (preferably at least the day prior) of missing a practice, otherwise a make-up for that absence will not be allowed.
c) Except in the case of a documented Injury, athletes may not make-up a scheduled competition absence.
d) Injured athletes may make-up absences by assisting the coaches during practice sessions, home or away meets, and/or fundraising events.
e) At the coach's discretion, athletes with extenuating circumstances may be given special consideration.
Athlete Signature_________________ Date_____ / Parent Signature_________________ Date_____