Lapwai Track and Field Rules
This is a team sport, so decisions will be made on what is best for the team
as opposed to the individual.
Commitment is the most important thing we have in order to be successful
Each is expected to give 100% at practice and meets. Example: a relay
team has 4 people plus an alternate. If you are on a relay and you are not
at practice, then the relay team suffers. Commit to perfection!
Work schedules must be adjusted to practice and meet schedules. A lot of our
meets cost the school an entry fee for so much an athlete or team. When
we enter a meet it is done well in advance of the date we are to run. We can’t change entries last minute. There are no refunds. You are expected to be there.
Diet You are responsible to eat correctly including your intake of water daily to
help you recover from the workouts and to prepare for a practice or meet the next
day. As coaches, we will be making recommendations to what should be eaten
and drank each week.
At meets, your intake of food should reflect a wise decision to know when you
run and how long the food will be in your system. Always eat a good breakfast
the morning of competition. If you do not keep food in your system or with you,
you will not have the energy to perform at your best which in turn will hurt the
team and your recovery.
Remember, all behaviors reflect on the school, parents, coaches and other athletes of
Lapwai High School. Any inappropriate behaviors elicited as a member of this team
will be dealt with as an infraction against the school.
We have a tradition of being very a competitive and well mannered team.
We expect to retain our traditions.
1. Practice begins at promptly at 4:00 and will finish around 5:30 unless otherwise specified by a coach. Most of the time-practice is done when you have completed your running assignments. Some field events may be requested to stay later. If you are a two sport athlete-you are responsible to do both workouts daily. You can do your track workout from 3:30-4:00 daily and then go to softball. There will be some days you will be required to stay longer to work on relay hand-offs and field events. We will meet weekly to work out a schedule that will work for both sports. If you are unable to fulfill both practice requirements-then you will be asked to choose one sport. Tardiness will not be tolerated-for every minute being late-you will be awarded one 50 m run. Time between increases by 20 sec every minute late—you must run your tardy runs before you participate in a meet. Again-prior arrangements can avoid tardy runs.
2. Regular practice is Monday thru Friday. You are expected to do your workout with everyone else. Softball and driver’s education are two reasons that practice will be modified.
3. You are expected to be at all practices unless prior arrangements have been made with a coach or you were absent and notified the school during the day of the absence. Prior arrangement does not mean calling the coach during practice to notify them of your absence. It is to be prior to practice that the coach is notified. Coach Church, Coach Leighton and Mr. Halverson are always at school so find one of them to make prior arrangements. You are expected to make prior arrangements-do not have another athlete do it for you. It is your responsibility.
4. Anyone missing practice, unless cleared by a Coach, will not be allowed to participate in the next track meet.
5. You must be at practice the day before (unless excused from school) and the day of a track meet in order to compete in that meet. You may not miss a period of school and participate that day in a meet unless you have a doctor’s appointment or other unavoidable excuse.
6. If you miss three practices that are unexcused and not pre-arranged-you will be dismissed from the team.
Examples of excusable absences:
Family commitments cleared in advance more than 24 hours in advance
Doctor or dentist appointments cleared in advance
Sick with the flu and missed school
Examples of non-excusable absences:
Sorry Coach, I had a lot of homework yesterday.
I have shin splints and I’m really sore, so I needed a day off.
I’m going to a concert.
I’m going to a birthday party.
I have my cell phone on before, during, and after practice. You can always call –DO NOT TEXT! - or email me with questions and concerns about practice or meet attendance. Cell: 208-791-4851, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
7. You are expected to work out with the team-any running done prior to a coach arriving at the track will not count. You are to wait for the coach to arrive to begin your workout. If you need to leave early-prior arrangement is easy and we can begin earlier.
8. We have scheduled many meets due to outside conflicts-you must participate in 8 regular season meets to be eligible for post season meets. Obviously absences due to injuries are excused. The mandatory meets are the Whitepine Championships, Regionals and State.
1. Obey bus rules. Never be on the bus without a coach. Stay seated at all times, no yelling, no throwing things. Be polite to the driver.
2. Arrive at the bus well before departure time. We might not wait.
3. Dress with class. This is an important occasion and you are a representative of your school, and community. The LCHS dress code will be upheld DURING ALL TRIPS.
4. If we go into stores or restaurants be polite ladies and gentlemen. Bring money on trips, for food.
5. Be sure you pack your equipment the night before the meet. Check everything twice the night before the meet. Do buddy checks for equipment and gear.
6. Know what races you are in and what time they are run. Ask your coaches for specific times and locations for your events. Be thinking about how you are going to handle bad weather, track conditions, etc.
7. THE SCHOOL WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY STOLEN PERSONAL BELONGINGS OR VALUABLES AT THE MEET OR FROM THE BUS.
1. As a team, start with team jog around track, stretch, agilities and form runs. Remember to warm up again if you have a later event! Know your event time, heat, lane, etc.
2. All athletes must have a parent or legal guardian check them out to leave early.
3. Keep track of your uniform, warm-ups and all equipment. If you lose it, you will have to pay the replacement fee.
4. Know the rules of the meet, and your specific events.
5. Know your PR (Personal Record), and what you have to do to break it. If possible, know the team score during meet.
6. When not competing or warming up, stay off your feet, keep warm on cold days; and cool on hot days, out of the sun, and help out by cheering on your teammates.
7. No Jewelry may be worn during competition. You may wear a religious type necklace or medical necklace, but it MUST be taped to your body. If you are caught wearing such items during a competition, you will be disqualified.
8. Athletes are not allowed to scratch themselves out of an event. Only a coach will scratch athletes out of an event.
1. Report all injuries to your event coach. This allows us to fill out an accident report form and put it on file for future records (insurance companies usually require one for claims).
2. Please contacting your event coach or the head coach if you need to see a doctor or go to the hospital if it is from an accident DURING track.
3. Once injured and you have been to the doctor, you must have a written doctors note and return it to the head coach before you may practice or compete.
1. No spiked shoes or muddy shoes in the buildings.
2. Please help keep the locker room clean.
3. No loitering or horseplay in the locker room or weight room.
4. Any athlete wishing to participate in meets must remain academically eligible, the coaches reserve the right to have mandatory study hall.
Track and Field Philosophy
Lapwai Track and Field has a dedication to excellence in providing a
safe, educational, athletic environment for student-athletes. The athletes will have the opportunities to become faster and stronger, have positive social experiences, learn the value of hard work and competition, and have fun through teamwork and good sportsmanship. With these areas combined, the Lapwai Boys and Girls Track Teams will always have success.
Lapwai Track and Field Staff
My student-athlete and I have reviewed and agree with the
Lapwai Track and Field team rules.