USATF Youth Virtual Summer Challenge
How Does this Work?
Please click on the applicable link below:
Participation Terms and Conditions
All competition must take place during the submission window (July 10-31). Please be sure to select events that you are able to safely complete while still following all Local, State and National laws and guidelines. Be respectful of facility closures. Competing in events that you can complete in your neighborhood or backyard is just fine. Tools such as Google Maps have options to measure short distances based on landmarks in your area. How to guide here.
Registration and Participation Details
- Download AthleticAPP from App Store or Google Play.
- Sign in with your Athletic.net account - or create an account if you don't have one.
- If you are under 13, your parent may use their account to register and submit results for you: Parents - Registering a managed athlete.
- If competing for your team, request a team code from your coach and enter that code into AthleticAPP to associate yourself with your team. This is not necessary if registering as unattached.
- Use the mobile app or the Athletic.net website to visit the Register page to enter yourself into events. There is no limit.
- If you would like to receive the USATF Athlete registration fee discount, be sure to add your USATF Membership ID to your Athletic.net account BEFORE you register: Adding a USATF Membership ID to your profile.
- Compete in an event taking photo or video proof (see specific instructions below). Submit the results using AthleticAPP:
- Tap the Notifications "bell" icon at the bottom, then choose the Virtual Events tab.
- Select the correct meet.
- Tap the event, enter your mark and upload the photo or video.
- Videos must be submitted for everything except the events that are 1 Mile and longer. The video must show the full running time of the event from start to finish (see instructions below).
- For events 1 Mile and longer, you may use the RecordRun feature in AthleticAPP. Alternatively, you may submit a photo of a GPS watch or app showing both distance and time (see instructions below).
How to record evidence of your performance:
All competition must take place during the submission window (July 10-31). Results from events contested before the opening date will be marked as invalid. Please replicate the technique in the example videos and photos shown below.
Running events shorter than 1 mile:
One continuous video is required and must show entire event, start to finish, including the time. If more than one person is in the video, please identify yourself.
Example video links:
Tips for the Starter:
- Start the watch from the finish line and shout loud enough for the runner to hear you.
- Start the watch when you say “Go!”—not when you see movement.
- Start recording, then hold the phone in one hand and the stopwatch in the other. After that, start the runner. Try to show watch in the video frame for the start and finish of the race, like shown below.
1 mile run, 2 mile run and 1 mile race walk:
You have three options:
- Use the RecordRun feature in AthleticAPP: Instructions
- A photo of a GPS watch or app showing both distance and time
- One continiuous video showing entire event, start to finish, including the time
- AthleticAPP RecordRun (this option will upload the distance and time for you)
- GPS watch
- GPS app
Take a separate video of each attempt, including the measurement process, and submit only the video of the best attempt. Please show all of the following:
- Before attempt, be sure measuring tape is already extended from field to board or ring
- Circle, foul line or toe board must be clearly marked and visible
- Jump or throw (video must capture entire throw/jump including landing)
- Person #1 - Mark landing spot with beginning of tape (show on video)
- Person #2 - Take a measurement at ring, foul line or board (show closeup of actual measurement)
Example video links:
- Standing Long Jump
- Shot Put
- Turbo/Aero Javelin
- Ages 7-10: 300g TurboJav
- Ages 11-18: 450g AeroJav
- Long Jump
- Triple Jump
Why aren't more events offered?
In the interest of safety, and knowing that access to coaches and equipment may be challenging during this time, the events offered have been limited to just those listed. We realize that this is an abbreviated list but no additional events will be contested during the USATF Youth Virtual Summer Challenge. Javelin is specifically limited to the 300g TurboJav (ages 7-10) and the 450g AeroJav (ages 11-18).
How do I register?
All entrants will register using the registration link on the meet page. This can be accessed using AthleticAPP. See the links at the top of this page for more details.
How much does it cost?
The entry fee is $10 for USATF members and $20 for non-members. You may particpate in as many events as you would like for the flat fee. If you are not already a member, click here to purchase a membership: USATF Membership.
How do I submit results?
Download the AthleticAPP to post your results.
- Use your Athletic.net account to login
- When you register for an event, you will receive a notification in the app to post your results
- Click the notification for instructions on posting your result and evidence
- Evidence must be in the form of a video all running events under a mile and all field events. 1 mile and 2 mile events may use the RecordRun feature in AthleticAPP or a photo of your GPS watch or app showing both distance and time (see above).
How do I resubmit a video if it did not upload correctly?
- Make sure you are in an area with a strong signal, preferably WiFi. If the deadline is approaching, do not delete your post because you will lose the option to submit a post after the deadline.
- Tap on the three dots in the upper right corner of the post (DO NOT delete the post)
- Choose Add Video and follow the steps to submit, making sure that you keep the app open until the video is completely done uploading
- Return to the meet results to confirm that the video has posted with the result (may take up to 5 minutes)
- If that doesn't work, leave your post there and...
- Log into Athletic.net on a computer (may have a better connectivity than your phone)
- Go to your profile or the meet results, find the post, and add the video in the same method as listed above
How do I submit a new post if I need to correct the time or distance?
- Make sure you are in an area with a strong signal, preferably WiFi. If the deadline is approaching, think twice about submitting a new post. You will lose the option to submit a post after the deadline.
- Tap on the three dots in the upper right corner of the post
- Choose Delete Post
- Return to the AthleticAPP notifications screen and submit the correct result and video/photo evidence
**You must always start your results post on AthleticAPP but you may add videos and photos on Athletic.net afterwards. More help: How to edit or resubmit a virtual result
Why is the time I submitted different in the final results?
All times submitted will be considered hand times and will be rounded up to the nearest tenth and converted as follows:
- Races under 300 meters: 0.24 seconds will be added
- Races 300 meters up to (but not including) 800 meters: 0.14 seconds will be added
- Races 800 meters and above: No further conversion factor will be added
Please see Hand Time Conversion Standards for further details.
Is pacing allowed?
Yes! No restrictions.
What is results moderation and how does it work?
Each result submitted will be reviewed by the meet host and then marked as Verified or Invalid. If an athlete registers for the meet as a member of their team (and has connected to the team on AthleticAPP), the team's coaches will be able to moderate their athletes' results. More information: Results Moderation.
Does my coach need to register me?
No. Both individual (unattached) registration and team-connected registration are welcome. As an individual, you can register for this meet at any time before the submission window closes. To register as competing for your team, your coach will need to add the virtual event to the team's calendar, and then give you the team code so you may connect to the team via AthleticAPP. Once these steps are accomplished, you can choose to register as either unattached, or as a member of your team.